Monday, July 5, 2010

3 years back

So today is the three year anniversary of my flight back to the US from the Czech Republic. It is amazing to think that it has been that long, and what has happened in the time since then.

Going on exchange and going to the Czech Republic taught me so much. I can't fathom what my life would be like if I hadn't gone. I don't think I would be at MIT; I definitely wouldn't be the person I am today. It was the most difficult thing I have done in my life, and I'm not sure I could do it again based on what I have learned since then and who I have become, but I am eternally grateful that I went and did have the experiences I did, even if it was a "perfect" exchange.

When I came back, I wanted to see the world, and thanks to MIT, I have had great opportunities to do so. I have been to Holland, England, Brazil, Uganda and Mexico and each experience has taught me something different. I still want to see the world, and go to places where most people don't have an opportunity to go, but working here in Mexico, however, I'm starting to realize that I think I would like to work based in the US, which isn't something I had really thought I wanted before.

The work environment is very different, and the language barrier is evident. Even though I can get around in Spanish, understand about 50% of the presentations that are given, and communicate with my co-workers in Spanish, I still am not comfortable. I know time helps with language, but it is more than that. I think I value a very diverse environment, and a place where people are very open to different opinions and voicing them. I'm not sure that is the case here. It has been a great experience, and I like the project I am working on, but I don't think I would want to immerse myself in one culture forever.

I'm also realizing that in the past 4 years, I have only lived one year at home in Colorado. I have realized this before, but now it is really hitting me that I can't really call Colorado my home anymore. It is my home in the fact that the house I grew up in is there, and my parents are there, but I don't know when, if ever, I will really live there again. I have spent, I think, a grand total of 5-6 weeks at home since I started college about 96 weeks ago. I love MIT, but being here in Mexico, away from all the people I know well and who know me well, has led me on this train of thought again.

I have no idea what the future will bring. Recently I have been accepting that I do not want to be an engineer, something that has been hard to accept. I have always thought I wanted to do engineering since I was little, but I'm realizing that although I like learning about engineering and how things work, I do not want to be the one designing things, or focusing my sights on only on project, a small part of a larger system. It is not where my talents will be best used, and I don't think I would be happy working on a technical system.

I have been looking into urban planning over the past few weeks, an area I have always been really interested in (cities are incredible) but never thought would be a viable career option. I am starting to realize that it may be.

The past three years have been an incredibly eye-opening experience, and changed my life the way that people always say college will. I was incredibly stubborn going in, knowing exactly what I wanted to do, but now I feel like I don't really know. I know what I like and what I don't, I am starting to realize what I want out of life, but there are so many options, so many paths and if the experiences I have in the past are any indicator, each thing I do from here will shape my interests and goals. I hope I have started to find a path I can go down and follow from here, but one can never be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment